Steps to create a new document in Photoshop:
- In the top menu, and select "File".
- Select "New" from the drop down window. A dialogue box for the New document will appear.
- Name the document (do not include a file extension)
- Enter the dimensions - note that the unit of measure can be changed depending on the document being created. A typical digital scrapbook page is 12 inches by 12 inches or 8.5 inches by 11 inches. A brag book page might be 7 inches by 5 inches or 6 inches by 4 inches. A Facebook Timeline Cover would be 851 pixels (width) by 315 pixels (height). The dimensions vary based on the document purpose.
- Resolution - also as needed for the project. Digital Scrapbook pages, cards, posters, flyers, etc...are usually set to 300ppi.
- Color Mode. For Digital Scrapbooking this is RGB Color, 8 bit. Projects for the web should also use the RGB Color Mode. Projects - such as magazine layouts - being sent to a commercial printer usually require CMYK.
- Background Contents. Most users choose to have a transparent background layer but white, or a color could be selected as well.
- Skip all other dialog boxes and click OK.